What is the best legal document management software in 2020?
Time to modernize your law firm: It’s time to implement a Document Management System to keep your firm’s documents organized and searchable. And there are no shortage of options when it comes to law firm document management. There are old products and new products. Premise-based solutions and cloud-based products.
Who This Overview is For
- Law firms looking for a better solution than basic Windows folders.
- Law firms looking to for a better system than “the S: Drive” to manage documents.
- Law firms looking to graduate from basic cloud storage solutions.
- Law firms looking to upgrade from their old, dinosaur DMS.
Are any of these you? If so: We’ve got you covered. Here we provide an overview of and additional resources for the best legal document management software in 2020.
Defining Document Management
Before we head into our list of the top law firm document management applications, we need to define the category. Many types of software and services are casually called “document management,” but aren’t. For instance, Microsoft OneDrive is not a Document Management System. Legal case management and billing software is not a document management system.
- Document Storage
- Document Tagging / Profiling
- Full-Text Document Search
- OCR (Included or via Integration)
- Microsoft Office Integration
- Email Management (Save Emails to Matters)
- Document Check-In/Out
- Document Version Management
- Unique Document ID
- Permission & Access Management
- Manage Favorite & Recent Documents
- Full Mac OS Compatability
- Integrated, Automatic OCR
- Secure Cloud Storage
- Data Encryption In-Transit and At-Rest
- Direct Outlook Integration
- Geographic Data Redundancy
- Two-Factor Authentication
- Create and Manage Notes